VISTA, Paradox, BDE Error 2501
Linton K
2007-05-29 12:38:32 UTC

I've several applications using BDE and paradox. Since I start testing the apps on Vista I sometimes get the BDE error 2501.

I develop with Delphi 2007 for win32.
My applications will be installed on a network directory, e.g. F:\MyApp and the data is also on this directory, e.g. F:\MyApp\App1\Data, F:\MyApp\App2\Data, F:\MyApp\Shared\Data.

Every application is using the same NetDir and a different PrivateDir.

The problem is that I can not exactly reproduce the BDE error 2501. It occurs sporadically.

My test scenario:
1. A Vista-client which mounts F: (peer-to-peer) to a network dir (provided by a windows 2003 server but this is not the critical parameter, because the error happens also if the fileserver is a vista-server).
2. Execute the following applications on the Vista-client:
- f:\myapp\app1\prg\app1.exe
- f:\myapp\app2\prg\app2.exe
- f:\myapp\app2\prg\app3.exe
3. Sometimes (if you think it would not happen) the BDE error 2501 "Insufficient memory for this operation." appears.

I try to play (because I've no recommendation how to set this parameters on vista) with the parameters
- SHAREDMEMSIZE
- SHAREDMEMLOCATION
but I've not won anything but patience.

At the moment I've no idea which parameters/source I should examine or change to get my problems solved.

Is there anybody who has an idea for me? Thanks in advance.

Linton
Bill Todd
2007-05-29 14:45:45 UTC
Try setting the SharedMemSize to 4096 and the SharedMemLocation to
0x5BDE.
Bill Todd (TeamB)
Linton K
2007-05-30 09:21:38 UTC
Post by Bill Todd
Try setting the SharedMemSize to 4096 and the SharedMemLocation to
0x5BDE.
Thanks for the idea, but it did not work. I got the 2501 again.
--Linton
Bill Todd
2007-05-30 14:46:31 UTC
Post by Linton K
Thanks for the idea, but it did not work. I got the 2501 again.
You might try some of the other addresses suggested in the on-line
help. You might also try increasing the size a bit more.

Do you get the error when you run just two of the apps or does it take
all three?
Bill Todd (TeamB)
Linton K
2007-05-31 09:48:42 UTC
Post by Bill Todd
You might try some of the other addresses suggested in the on-line
help. You might also try increasing the size a bit more.
I've already tried many many many combinations of addresses and sizes. It's my hobby ;-)
Unfortunately without success.
Post by Bill Todd
Do you get the error when you run just two of the apps or does it take
all three?
Just two is enough.

Most of the times (not always) the error occurs at the program start. IMHO at the first time the BDE-session was "touched". If the apps will start correctly (without 2501) then with a chance of 95% you can work with the apps without problems.

Linton
Stephan Haidinger
2007-06-01 19:19:05 UTC
once I had this problem, this worked for me:

SHAREDMEMSIZE to 16384

MAXBUFSIZE to 20480

MAXFILEHANDLES to 128
--Linton
Linton K
2007-07-30 06:40:21 UTC
Thanks for the idea.
It seems that this configuration will work for a workstation
with 1 GB memory.

I got the $2501 error again, when increasing the memory
to 2 GB.

At the moment it seems that I've also found good values for
machines with 2 GB memory.

2 GB memory: SHAREDMEMSIZE = 60000

Why? Don't ask me. But it works since 2 weeks.
Post by Stephan Haidinger
SHAREDMEMSIZE to 16384
MAXBUFSIZE to 20480
MAXFILEHANDLES to 128
Linton K
2007-10-08 08:50:14 UTC
Post by Linton K
Thanks for the idea.
It seems that this configuration will work for a workstation
with 1 GB memory.
I got the $2501 error again, when increasing the memory
to 2 GB.
At the moment it seems that I've also found good values for
machines with 2 GB memory.
2 GB memory: SHAREDMEMSIZE = 60000
Why? Don't ask me. But it works since 2 weeks.
Post by Stephan Haidinger
SHAREDMEMSIZE to 16384
MAXBUFSIZE to 20480
MAXFILEHANDLES to 128
But unfortunately it only works for this 2 weeks and then sporadically I got on these systems the problems again. I've found no configuration of SHAREDMEMSIZE and MAXBUFSIZE or MEMSIZE which will work without any problems on a VISTA machine.

:-(

Linton

Rick Scheibl
2007-05-30 15:40:46 UTC

I've had this error when the icon for the program has something checked
in the Compatibility mode group box on the Compatibility tab in the
icon properties.

Removing this has fixed the problem.

Rick
Linton K
2007-06-01 12:42:18 UTC
Post by Rick Scheibl
I've had this error when the icon for the program
has something checked in the Compatibility mode group
box on the Compatibility tab in the icon properties.
I've not checked the compatibility mode.
Nevertheless, thanks.